Greenhouse and Transplant Production
In this area we have concentrated on tomato transplants. In our earliest trials, with growers we saw very good results at very low rates per acre. In our most recent research we have focused on what is the lowest rates of CharGrow ® application that can achieve significant changes in soil biology and crop yield. This work is on-going at VA Tech and at other farms in our network. Fours years of replicated trials in Virginia have shown that 2 cups per 5 gallons of tranplant mix produces a stonger transplant that yields earlier and yields 51% more at the first picking. We believe that this is due to the synergistic effects that occur with the breakdown of the cover crop, the beneficial microbes that interact with plant exudates, and the improvement of nutrient cycliing.
For the members of our group, both field and sweet corn have always been a focus. Corn is grown at two of our member farms in Ohio and New Jersey and we have also conducted trials in the upper Midwest. Most recently we are partnering with NJ Audubon to produce wild sunflower seed that is grown with our product. Potatoes, peppers and tomato transplants have also been tested with our product.
Over the years we have worked with both golf course and sports turf applications of CharGrow ® . In these applications it is applied as a topdress following core aeration or broadcast over existing turf.
CharGrow ® is a biological source of beneficial soil microorganisms, enriched substrates and foods. Research has shown that this formulation allows the microbes to survive harsh soil environments, increase nutrient cycling and improve plant health.
- Turfgrass Establishment: Add 10 lbs. CharGrow ® per 1000 sq. ft. Work into 4-6 inches of existing soil. Add seed, rake and water thoroughly.
- Maintenance: Following aeration, dethatching or scarification apply at 10 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. or premix with sand or soil at a rate of 2 cups CharGrow ® per cu. ft. of growing media.
- Vegetable Gardens: Incorporate 10 lbs. CharGrow ® per 1000 sq. ft. of soil. Work into top 4-6 inches of soil; add seed, rake and water thoroughly.
- Trees and Shrubs: Mix 2 cups CharGrow ® per cu. ft. of soil from the planting hole. Place 6 inches of this mixture into the hole. Place tree or shrub into planting hole and fill with remainder of mix.
- Potted Plants: A ¼ inch layer of CharGrow ® may be worked into surface of container media. When repotting plants add 2 cups per cu. ft. of growing media.
- Vegetable and Flower Transplants: Add ¼ inch layer CharGrow ® to bottom of transplant hole.
Directions For Use
For best results product should be mixed into soil or other planting media. If applied to surface of growing media, product should be raked in and watered thoroughly.
Due to the active and dormant microbial populations under certain environmental conditions, this product may gain or lose weight. With this type of biological activity, it is impossible to eliminate all risks associated with this product. Unintended consequences may result due to factors beyond the control of the manufacturer or the seller. The buyer shall assume all such risks.
This product conforms to the description on its label and is reasonably suited for the purposes as stated. In no event shall the manufacturer or the seller be held liable for any incidental, consequential, or special damages resulting from the use or handling of this product. The exclusive remedy of the buyer or user for all claims shall be the return of the purchase price of the product.