Probiotics for Plants
Virginia Tech – 51% increase in tomato yield at first pick. University of Florida – significantly improved hibiscus growth and soil nitrate retention. Ohio grower – an average 20% increase in sweet corn yield. Read full results summary
Field trials with CharGrow ® BioGranules ™ have shown better plant productivity when BioGranules is added at 2-3% by volume (in growing mixes) and 15 – 20 lbs. per acre in row crops. Calculate your application requirements or read more about BioGranules usage.
Where to Buy
Purchase BioGranules in our online store, as well as through an increasing number of retail locations. Find a store near you.
Growing results with BioGranules
Healthy transplants reduce production costs
BioGranule inoculated transplants were greener and approximately 25% taller at field setting than control plants. Shortening the time required to produce healthy transplants reduces production costs.
Earlier fruiting, increased profits
Earlier fruiting yield was increased by 51% in BioGranule inoculated plants, compared to non-inoculated plants. Earlier fruiting normally results in increased profits, especially for growers in northern short-season climates.
Nutrient retention, environmental benefits
Trial results demonstrated longer-term flower color retention (in Vincas) and reduced nutrient runoff, measured by soluble salts and nitrate-N analyses.
Greenhouse and Transplant Production
In this area we have concentrated on tomato transplants. In our earliest trials, with growers we saw very good results at very low rates per acre. In our most recent research we have focused on what is the lowest rates of CharGrow® BioGranules™ application that can achieve significant changes in soil biology and crop yield. This work is on-going at VA Tech and at other farms in our network. Fours years of replicated trials in Virginia have shown that 2 cups per 5 gallons of transplant mix produces a stronger transplant that yields earlier and yields 51% more at the first picking. We believe that this is due to the synergistic effects that occur with the breakdown of the cover crop, the beneficial microbes that interact with plant exudates, and the improvement of nutrient cycling.
For the members of our group, both field and sweet corn have always been a focus. Corn is grown at two of our member farms in Ohio and New Jersey and we have also conducted trials in the upper Midwest. Most recently we are partnering with NJ Audubon to produce wild sunflower seed that is grown with our product. Potatoes, peppers and tomato transplants have also been tested with our product.
Over the years we have worked with both golf course and sports turf applications of BioGranules™. In these applications it is applied as a topdress following core aeration or broadcast over existing turf.
BioGranules™ is a biological source of beneficial soil microorganisms, enriched substrates and foods. Research has shown that this formulation allows the microbes to survive harsh soil environments, increase nutrient cycling and improve plant health.
- Turfgrass Establishment: Add 10 lbs. BioGranules™ per 1000 sq. ft. Work into 4-6 inches of existing soil. Add seed, rake and water thoroughly.
- Maintenance: Following aeration, dethatching or scarification apply at 10 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. or premix with sand or soil at a rate of 2 cups BioGranules™ per cu. ft. of growing media.
- Vegetable Gardens: Incorporate 10 lbs. BioGranules™ per 1000 sq. ft. of soil. Work into top 4-6 inches of soil; add seed, rake and water thoroughly.
- Trees and Shrubs: Mix 2 cups BioGranules™ per cu. ft. of soil from the planting hole. Place 6 inches of this mixture into the hole. Place tree or shrub into planting hole and fill with remainder of mix.
- Potted Plants: A ¼ inch layer of BioGranules™ may be worked into surface of container media. When repotting plants add 2 cups per cu. ft. of growing media.
- Vegetable and Flower Transplants: Add ¼ inch layer BioGranules™ to bottom of transplant hole.
Directions For Use
For best results product should be mixed into soil or other planting media. If applied to surface of growing media, product should be raked in and watered thoroughly.
Due to the active and dormant microbial populations under certain environmental conditions, this product may gain or lose weight. With this type of biological activity, it is impossible to eliminate all risks associated with this product. Unintended consequences may result due to factors beyond the control of the manufacturer or the seller. The buyer shall assume all such risks.
This product conforms to the description on its label and is reasonably suited for the purposes as stated. In no event shall the manufacturer or the seller be held liable for any incidental, consequential, or special damages resulting from the use or handling of this product. The exclusive remedy of the buyer or user for all claims shall be the return of the purchase price of the product.
CharGrow® BioGranules™ can be applied through conventional spreading equipment
BioGranules™ provides the following plant health benefits:
- Improved soil drainage
- Reduced soil compaction
- Increased nutrient cycling
- Greater retention of water in dry soils
- Improved germination
- Improved plant resistance to fungal disease, root feeding nematodes and insect infestation
Need help with your new growing project? Please contact us any time to discuss. Especially if you’re looking for results like this…
- 10% increase in Sweet Corn yield
- 30 lb. / acre savings in nitrogen for Irish Potatoes
- 22% increase in Tomato yield
- 51% increase in Tomato yield at first pick
- Read more growing trials & results